What Sunscreen Should I Use?
The American Cancer Society recommends everyone use sunscreen that offers the following:
- Broad-spectrum protection (protects against UVA and UVB rays).
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 30 or greater.
- Water resistance.
A sunscreen that offers the above helps to protect your skin from sunburn, early skin aging and skin cancer. Des Moines Plastic Surgery™ and the Healthy Skin & Laser Center recommend the following sunscreens:
SkinMedica – Daily Physical Defense SPF 30+
Obagi Medical – Sun Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 50
When should I use the above sunscreen?
- Every day you will be outside. The sun emits harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays year round.
- Even on cloudy days, up to 80% of the sun’s harmful UV rays can penetrate your skin.
- Snow, sand and water increase the need for sunscreen because they reflect the sun’s rays.
We all need sunscreen, people of all skin colors get skin cancer. Many of these skin cancers could have been prevented with protection from the sun’s rays. Contact Des Moines Plastic Surgery™ and the Healthy Skin and Laser Center at 515-221-9999 to get your sun protection today.